Living in H-Town

A record of my experiences while living in Houston, TX

Hey y'all! I know I haven't spent a lot of time blogging about my experiences in Houston, lately.But don't fear, I am back.

This weekend has undoubtedly been one of the most interesting ones since I've been here. Not that I've had a boring stay while in Houston. On the contrary, I've learned so many things, and grown in so many areas, it's actually scary to keep up with this new mindset that has set upon me.

Anyways, let's not get too esoteric. Last Friday, after work, I finally met one of the biggest enemies of the human state: the revolver. I've never seen a gun before in my life, let alone held a gun. But as I always do in front of girls, I had to man up. Well, I didn't technically man up that well, but at least I wanted to. The gun felt funny in my hands, it was very heavy and very powerful. To think that something like that could take away a life in seconds scared me to death, and since I'm accident prone, I was trying to handle it with care, although my friend would disagree with me :). I first tried using the stubnose revolver. My hands were stiff, I pointed to the paper target, pull the trigger slowly and closed my eyes. Yes, I closed my eyes. It felt so good to pull that trigger, it was as if I had been shot with adrenaline powder in a magic casket. I finished the first round, which was about 5 bullets, and then I switched to the 9mm automatic gun.




That's when I got really excited. It was as close as being a secret agent. In this case, there's a pulling mechanism that you have to follow, they call it cocking the gun. Then, you pull the trigger. It felt so smooth and uncanny at the same time. I, with a 9mm in one hand, my feet steadfast on the ground, was creatively trying to destroy this paper monster painted in red.





Even though I only aced the bullseye once, It felt surreal. Although, I don't necessarily think this will be a new hobby of mine, I could potentially see it as being a stress relief activity that I could do every once in a while. It's all about taking it to the next level. It's all about trying new things, even if those things scare you to death. It's all about letting yourself into this new world, where everything and everyone is a new opportunity to grow and expand that mind of yours.

That reminds me, today we had our first OSC BBQ party @ Will and Sophie's new house. To be honest, I didn't want to go at first, because I thought that it was going to be morbidly awkward for me to hang out with these people who I barely know. Well, I should take that back, I know these guys, and I really think that they are my Houston family and all, but it's just hard to have a relationship aside from the one we have at work. On top of that, the age difference between us is noticeable, making it harder for me to relate to these people. In addition to that, I'm still trying to feel comfortable in my own skin with my english skills and my eerie personality. But I decided to go because I wanted to challenge myself to do things I would not normally do. I'm very shy, although some people would think the opposite based on first impressions. I'm trying to get to a point where I feel comfortable with who I am, but until then I will still need to be dared to do normal things which I consider bold. All in all, I had a great time with my coworkers, and I am developing feelings for each of them, feelings that will be hard to "shut down" when I leave this wonderful city...




So what did I learn from this weekend? I learned to challenge myself on doing things that I wouldn't normally do, to let people in my life, and to have my eyes open at all times when shooting with a 9mm automatic.


Til next time lads...

0 comments:

Post a Comment