Living in H-Town

A record of my experiences while living in Houston, TX

My plans for the weekend rarely come to life, but this time something unexpected happened. My family was visiting Disney World for the nth time and everything was "peaches and cream" until the last day. My sister was feeling sick, and all of a sudden she developed a viral infection and we later learned that she also had pneumonia. So for all of you whose eyes got quirky when they read the word "pneumonia" its a very common and dangerous disease where the lungs get filled with mucus and water. The result is shorter breath capacity and due to the inefficient oxygen transport, the person can become weak. On top of that, a viral infection compromises the immune system to work and to spend energy trying to fight the virus, And on top of everything else, my sis is 6 years old. So yeah, you get the picture. I was really worried and all I could think of was my sister. I had a feeling in my gut that I was going to lose her. To make this story short, she got hospitalized for 6 days, and I was getting more stressed as the days went by. So I made a radical move: I packed my bags, notified my boss about the situation and headed to Orlando to lend them a hand. While I was there, she began to recuperate - she started to breathe again without the help of a ventilator and was eating more and cooperating with the nurses. All in all, we had a great time as a family. I didnt know how much I needed to be with them. God works in mysterious ways. If it werent for my sister's disease, I wouldnt have flown to Orlando, spent time with my family and rekindled old friendships with people that moved from PR to Orlando and lost contact with.

Im back in Houston, I love my life, and I consider this place "home". It's too weird to think that THIS IS MY HOME. I guess HOME is wherever I am. I still miss my family, and Im glad that my sister is ok, and I wouldnt change these experiences for the world. I wouldnt change my life, as complex as it is, and as lonely as it can be sometimes, I enjoy spending time with me, myself and I.

0 comments:

Post a Comment