Living in H-Town

A record of my experiences while living in Houston, TX

February 24, 2010

Why do people lie?

February 24,2010

Ticks are to a dog what liars are to society...they are infectious and can poison whatever they touch. I was talking to someone about this guy who lied about his age, probably because a) he was into her b) he felt that the age difference between them would be an issue in the future, and c) because he wanted to feel "young" again. These are all assumptions. Maybe he is a compulsive liar that is obsessed with fantasy, which in turn pushes him into an imaginary reality. Or maybe he simply said that because he was nervous at first, and 25 was the first thing that came to his mind. It doesn't matter what the cause is, because the outcome will always be the same. Doubt. Betrayal. Lack of trust. And this has happened to me a lot. I've been the victim and the culprit. I've lied about a lot of things, and people have lied to me as well.

I don't wish to lie, but sometimes I just do. It's automatic, as if the wheels in my head started to spin involuntarily. Perhaps it's because we're all sinners, and we prefer to walk in the dark, rather than shed the light to others. And you might think that I'm exaggerating with this example, because this was just a "little white lie", but what would have happened to them if they had hooked up, and then she finds out that he was not 25 but 32 years old instead? How would she feel? One thing's for sure, she will not feel safe. A lie poisons the mind, which in turn transfers it to the heart, the haven of emotions. Let's make an effort to be more honest and open to people, and to avoid lying . I promise that we will all feel extraordinary and powerful, able to control our outcomes. We will no longer be subjected to slavery --we will be as care free as a newborn...

1 comments:

~Letty~ said...

Yeah...lying definitely leads to lack of trust. An ex of mine used to lie about the most silly things. When I questioned him, he would say "well why would you get upset about me lying about something that unimportant." In my mind, it is almost WORSE to lie about something so unimportant....what is the motivation behind it? I think some people are just compulsive liars.

Anyway, I'm glad that you at least admitted that you have been both a victim and the culprit. That's very honest :)

Post a Comment